Monday, January 28, 2008

Horsepower in all things

So for those of you who know the boys in my family you will understand this conversation that I witnessed Sunday evening. My sister in law and Gardner are discussing purchasing a new vacuum but will also be building a new home soon. They are debating purchasing a Kirby vacuum or getting a central vacuum in their next home.

dad: you ought to get the central vacuum. Its so handy and great and I love it in the garage. There's nothing better for cleaning out cars.

gardner: I'm worried about the suction in a central vacuum.

dad: I haven't had anything that cleans out cars as well. Its amazing - its great to have in the garage.

gardner: With such a long hose how can it have that much suction?

dad: What do you mean? Its airtight so it has the same suction at the end. Besides its got a ton of horsepower. I'll bet you couldn't find a vacuum out there with nearly as much horsepower.

gardner: Really? How much horsepower do you think it has?

How were they able to equate something typically used only to clean the house with cars and horsepower? That's a rare genetic Crane trait.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

That is really funny! I am always amazed how Dad and Gardner can have such an indepth conversation about such an ordinary item! Not to mention the whole horsepower issue!

JennyWren said...

You know Em, I think you have stumbled upon the makings of a great new sitcom. I've missed your writings, you always make me smile.
Miss you honey, come visit me soon!

JB said...

It is not just about horsepower Em. It's about the vaccum! I am not sure when men became so involved with these decisions, it seems like not so long ago when women decided this type of thing whithout the input of the man... Oh well, as long as they will use the thing, they can feel free to pick it out! When you have time ask Skip about his Dyson... I think he would get rid of me before he got rid of it!